Monday, August 06, 2007

Adoption Education 101!

This is something that has been heavy on my heart since we started this adoption journey so many months ago. And since this is my blog...I get to state my opinion! First let me say that I must thank a friend of mine for encouraging me to stand up for my child or children before they arrive, because it will only make it that much easier when they finally do get here. (Thank you Linda!) I believe sometimes as Christians we tend to "critisize" outloud, before we really think about what we are saying. This is not ment to hurt anyones feelings, but rather to educate all of us in this new journey that God has put before Rob and I.

The Bible says the following...
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, .....The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.--- Matthew 25:35,40

I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him.---1 Samuel 1:27

And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.--- Matthew 18:5 (my favorite)

The Gift of Life
I didn't give you the gift of life,
But in my heart I know.
The love I feel is deep and real,
As if it had been so.
For us to have each other
Is like a dream come true!
No, I didn't give you The gift of life,
Life gave me the gift of you.--- Unknown
LEGACY OF AN ADOPTED CHILD
Once there were two women who never knew each other
One you do not remember, the other you call Mother
Two different lives shaped to make you one
One became your guiding star, the other became your sun
The first one gave you life, and the second taught you to live it
The first gave you a need for love, the second was there to give it
One gave you a nationality, the other gave you a name
One gave you a talent, the other gave you aim
One gave you emotions, the other calmed your fears
One saw your first sweet smile, the other dried you tears
One made an adoption plan, that was all that she could do
The other prayed for a child, and God led her straight to you.
Now, which of these two women, Are you the product of?
Both, my darling, Both, Just two different types of love.---- Unknown
If you are still with me, I just want all of you to know the following,
-Yes, we know this is not going to be easy every day.
-Yes, we have thought this through, and prayed a lot about this.
-Yes, we have not gone crazy.
-Yes, we know our life is going to be different than it is now.
-Yes, we are excited.
-Yes, we are going to do all we can to protect, love, nurture and encourage our new child(ren).
All this said...we are excited! And we hope that you can join us in this exciting journey that God has set before us. Pray for us, pray for our son(s), as Barry says....PRAY!!!
Thanks for listening...and of course...this is just my opinion!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Harding Family,

God has truly prepared you for the task of parenting (and being big sister's too) this very lucky adoptive child(ren). There will be high and low moments, but take comfort in knowing that God's finger prints will be on it all.

Hey, we have a very big job ahead of us educating people about adoption, and the appropriate terms and things to say (and not say). But I thinks we are up to the challenge!

I'm so excited for you and will be praying for you and your little one(s).
Linda Jeffries

Kerry said...

Debbie & family,

I just want to throw in my 2 cents worth and hope it encourages you.

What is better then answering God's call and giving a child a home? Feel comforted in knowing you are doing the right thing, even if others fail to understand. You will be living your faith everyday with this child. I wouldn't exchange my adopted daughter for anything.

Kerry Jeffries

GrammaBonnie said...

To my Dear "Daughter" & Son,
I have been so proud of you both since the first moment you told me you planned to adopt. My heart is blessed that you are reaching out to add a precious son or two to your family. You are great parents to Nicole & Amanda & I know you will be great parents to your son[s] too. I pray for God's blessing & favor on your family as you add a boy[s]. And I'm very excited about becoming a Gramma again! I love you all so much & there's plenty of room in my heart for more precious children! I've been praying for him [them] - I know God has him [them] already picked out. I can hardly wait to meet him [them].
Love & Hugs, Gramma H